Monday 5 March 2012

Evaluation Question 3

What kind of media institution might distibute your media product and why?

The magazine industry is currently dominated by several different music magazines, below is a table of the most popular and their circulations/year on year comparisons.







Music Magazines: Jan-Jun 2009 Year On Year Comparisons
Title
Publisher
Jan-Jun 08
Jan-Jun 09
Actual Change
% Ch
Classic Rock
Future Publishing
66,632
70,301
3,669
5.5
Kerrang!
Bauer Consumer Media
60,290
43,253
-17,037
-28.3
Metal Hammer
Future Publishing
48,540
46,004
-2,536
-5.2
Mojo
Bauer Consumer Media
106,367
97,722
-8,645
-8.1
NME
IPC Ignite
56,284
40,948
-15,336
-27.2
Q
Bauer Consumer Media
113,174
100,172
-13,002
-11.5
The Fly
Channelfly Enterprises Ltd
105,212
107,771
2,559
2.4
Uncut
IPC Ignite
86,925
76,526
-10,399
-12.0





















Here is an example of an NME magazine front cover, the pictures both share the same genre, style and general unique connotations, which is a large bennifactor as to why I feel my magazine would best be published by a company like IPC. Also noting all the other aspects annotated in my above image you can see the both subtle and obvious similarities between the magazines.


The Socio-Economic System and Groups must also be classed within deciding upon my magazines, in both the pricing and those who I shall target, like aspirers etc. 


Below is a definition found on a website which evaluates many of society's structures, explaining Socio-Economic groups:
Market Research agencies often divide the population into different groupings, based on the occupation of the head of the household, for the purpose of drawing comparisons accross a wide range of people - it is used to see how people in differing socio-economic situations react to the same stimuli. The groups are most often defined as follows:-

A- Higher managerial, administrative, professional e.g. Chief executive, senior civil servant, surgeon

B - Intermediate managerial, administrative, professional e.g. bank manager, teacher

C1- Supervisory, clerical, junior managerial e.g. shop floor supervisor, bank clerk, sales person

C2 - Skilled manual workers e.g. electrician, carpenter

D- Semi-skilled and unskilled manual workers e.g. assembly line worker, refuse collector, messenger

E - Casual labourers, pensioners, unemployed e.g. pensoiners without private pensions and anyone living on basic benefits


I priced my magazine as I did, so younger unworking teens (possibly working part-time or have left full time education) could afford to take this amount of money off of their guardians to purchase my magazine. 


IPC Media produces over 60 iconic media brands, with print alone reaching almost two thirds of UK women and 42% of UK men – almost 26 million UK adults – while our websites collectively reach over 20 million users every month.
IPC's diverse print and digital portfolio offers something for everyone, with a focus on three core audiences: men, mass market women and upmarket women.


 So to conclude I have picked IPC Media as my chosen publisher. I have chosen this as due to all the information above I feel it best represents my magazine and my magazine best mirrors the others published by IPC Media. I have edited my magazine here with two other magazines who are published by IPC. I feel my magazine fits in well with these two. Looking mainly at the housestyle and layout.




No comments:

Post a Comment